The Roths Down Under

A collection of daily events, activities, thoughts and reflections. Check back often as we will update our log every day or so. Don't forget to stay in touch by clicking on the comment link below each daily entry!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States

A young family having many "adventures of a lifetime!" Ed, Karen, Eddie & Heather

online

Saturday, June 04, 2005

A few Aussie-isms

Yesterday marked the last day of class for the semster and we all went out for a bit of a celebration. Over the course of the night, we talked about all of the Aussie-isms that I've learned (or at least heard) since I arrived... a few of many (more) for your sampling:

Whoop Whoop: I want to live in the heart of the city, not way out in whoop whoop.

Hard Yakka: If you want to succeed, you have to be willing to put in the hard yakka (work).

Cuppa: Hey Ed, are you busy or would you be interested in a cuppa? (cup of tea etc.)

Esky: Make sure you close the esky (cooler) tightly or all the ice will melt.

Arvo: Do we have to do it this morning, can't it wait until arvo. (afternoon)

Goodonya: Goodonya mate! (good one, well done)

Troppo: Oh oh, Ed's lost it... he's gone troppo! (gone mad from overexposure to the heat)

Have (take) a slosh: Whew, I'll be back in a minute, I have to go have a slosh. (go to the bathroom).

....and my personal favorite....

Bob's your uncle: Hey, just concentrate, get this done and do a good job, then Bob's your uncle (no problem, you're all set)

8 Comments:

Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Heh,heh. Those are just too funny. Are there any terms we use that you've let slip and gotten a laugh from the Aussie's about?

10:19 PM  
Blogger Lara said...

Those are great! I particularly like 'Bob's your uncle.'

1:03 AM  
Blogger kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping said...

Those are great! I also like "Bob's your uncle"...I know if I tried to used that expression, I would mess it up and come up with something like "Bob's your...um....brother? Father? Son?" LOL

12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aussie Comments (not necssarily widely used, but have heard) and Must add:
"Flat out" (or if said in full: "flat out like a lizzard"); to mean extraordinarily busy. "Work has me flat out"

"shout" (it) as in "My shout" or "His shout"; meaning your/his/my turn to buy it; eg "this round (of drinks)is my shout"

"part the meat curtains" (female equivalent of men's "splash the boots" for having to urinate (or act of); also could say take a slash instead of splash the boots

Many outsid of AUs (oz) have heard no worries, but not the slang version of this is "no furries ( shortened for no f--n worries), or could be no furries cobber (mate)

"Dry as a dead dingo's donger" (sp?); no explanation should be needed

"Stone the crows" local version of "holy cow", or "No way!!"

"Fair dinkum": honestly

And the last, for the moment: is "pay with the hairy checkbook"
(will not clarify this one, if you don't figure this out, you are too innocent to hear it)

12:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree with a girl running, but I heard a new one the other day for having a pee (ladies) "shaking the hairy lettuce"

oh and woop woop is spelt without the h. I know, because I live there!

2:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy smokes!!! I've been trying all day to find little know sources of "real" people online with thoughts and ideas about ice fishing shanty. I stumbled on to your porst about this post and although it's not exactly what I was looking for, it certainly caught my attention. I'm personally building a resource for ice fishing shanty and hope you might stop by and check it out when you have a chance...let me know your thoughts. I'll be sure to send people this way as well. Thanks Ed, Karen, Eddie & He her...Cheers!

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this post was what caught my attention. I was just out browsing around today looking for information on ice fishing equipment, and happened accross your blog. Although it's not completely related to ice fishing equipment, it certainly made me stop and ponder. Thanks for the great read Ed...I'll be back.

12:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy smokes!!! I've been trying all day to find little know sources of "real" people online with thoughts and ideas about ice fishing equipment. I stumbled on to your porst about this post and although it's not exactly what I was looking for, it certainly caught my attention. I'm personally building a resource for ice fishing equipment and hope you might stop by and check it out when you have a chance...let me know your thoughts. I'll be sure to send people this way as well. Thanks Ed...Cheers!

8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home