The Roths Down Under

A collection of daily events, activities, thoughts and reflections. Check back often as we will update our log every day or so. Don't forget to stay in touch by clicking on the comment link below each daily entry!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States

A young family having many "adventures of a lifetime!" Ed, Karen, Eddie & Heather

online

Thursday, May 26, 2005

The Campfires of Gentle People

"...one never has to look far to see the campfires of gentle people." I just got done reading a great article in the May 21-22 edition of the Brisbane Courier Mail Beliefs flourish in a time of doubt by an Australian feature writer named Kathleen Noonan and thought I would share some of it. In a previous column, she asked the question, "What do you believe?" thinking for the most part that it was a rhetorical question - but the responses came flooding in and here are a few of them.

Some are pragmatic From a WWII veteran: "I believe you only have today. Stick your teeth in, smile, and get on with it."
Some are quaint: "I believe in dogs' faces when you put on running shoes"
Some are complex: From a detective: "I believe in pure evil and the unlimited capacity for man to commit unspeakable horrors on others and especially children. I believe that people 'can' die of a broken heart. I believe in the smell of boxing gyms. I believe in the sun even when it isn't shining. I believe in love, even when I feel it not. I believe in God, even when he is silent".
Some are funny: I believed in love until that last stinking mongrel left me and took the (car). So now I believe in Karma...cos it blew up just outside (the city)!
Some are born from facing ugliness: From a policeman: "I believe that smiles melt people and that eyes smile. I believe that every day could be your last and you should live life as if it is."

Ms. Noonan ends with: "Sure, winter is nearly here. The days darken early. Firewood is on sale around town. The headlines make you doubt the goodness of governments and individuals. But there's warmth and light in the campfires of gentle people.

A few of my own:

I believe in the purity of a child's love.
I believe that the only thing evil needs to fluorish is for goodness to be idle.
I believe strength and tenderness can occur simultaneously ~ ask my father-in-law, he'll show you.
I believe in the stillness of nature.
I believe there are angels among us.

You?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe we're all here for a reason. We just have to open our hearts to see it.
Mom P.

12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen, to we are hear for a reason.
Also do in the beauty of a child's love; and the magnificence of a child's honesty, telling you (verbally or nonverbally) what they really think or feel.
AND, must agree with the need to enjoy the moment, not putting off to tomororw what needs to be appreciated today. Tell someone you love them, enjoy that special wine.... TODAY! No one knows what will unfold tomorrow!

1:53 PM  
Blogger kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping said...

I believe in not putting off until tomorrow what you can do today, especially telling the people you love how much they mean to you.

I have lots of other beliefs, but I can't remember them all right now. :)

11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home