The Roths Down Under

A collection of daily events, activities, thoughts and reflections. Check back often as we will update our log every day or so. Don't forget to stay in touch by clicking on the comment link below each daily entry!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States

A young family having many "adventures of a lifetime!" Ed, Karen, Eddie & Heather

online

Friday, May 13, 2005

Metrosexuals? WTF?

I had about 30 minutes this morning after I finished breakfast before I had to catch the bus, so I thought I'd watch a little ESPN and catch up on the NBA playoffs, NFL free agent signings, and even though major league baseball is a complete disaster, I thought I'd take a peek at that also. Here in Australia, Sports Center is mostly a direct feed from ESPN in the U.S., with a mix of some Australian commentators, sports, etc. Well, they cut to the ESPN studios in Manhattan where the NBA analysts are previewing tonight's playoff games, with a "pretender or contender?" theme. Analyst 1 gives his opinions. Analyst 2 gives his. Then comes analyst 3 .... This guy had his eyebrows plucked and real make-up on ~ not the stuff they put on you to keep your face from shining in the lights on t.v. But, more than that, he had his eyebrows PLUCKED! Guys, this is not some show on the Lifetime network or a soap opera... this is Sports Center on E.S.P. friggin' N!

A friend of Dave's was over the house last weekend and was asking me if we had this concept of 'metrosexuals' in the U.S. also, and yes, I was aware of it, but it's not something I paid or pay a lot of attention to. Then, I was reading a political blog (of all things) last night and there was a post about metrosexuals ... then THIS guy shows up on ESPN. WTF?

O.K. end of testosterone driven rant.

Something to check out from Jim Lampley of all people - who knew he was so well versed and articulate? Makes you
  • simultaneously furious and hopeful about America!


  • Have a great weekend gang!

    3 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You are too funny! Must have been just a bit odd to see that on the sports channel.

    10:34 AM  
    Blogger kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping said...

    Ed, you weren't familiar with metrosexuals? I live in Japan and know all about them! :) Are you thinking about getting your eyebrows waxed too? LOL

    Thanks for the link for Jim Lampley. It was quite the eye opener.

    11:51 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You know, after I wrote that - I didn't mean to come off like a troglodyte or anything, but come on man. Yeah, like I mentioned in the post, I keep hearing more and more about them and usually have a notion of metrosexuals as being .....I don't know, just guys in general I wouldn't really come into contact with in the normal course of my day, LET ALONE on ESPN!

    3:33 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home