The Roths Down Under

A collection of daily events, activities, thoughts and reflections. Check back often as we will update our log every day or so. Don't forget to stay in touch by clicking on the comment link below each daily entry!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States

A young family having many "adventures of a lifetime!" Ed, Karen, Eddie & Heather

online

Friday, April 22, 2005

Suburban Ecology

OK - get this. My friends David and Karyn showed me a newspaper article the other day, primarily about the presence and prevalence of snakes in this part of the city/state. A python had recently nabbed someone's pet pug - bit it, squeezed it, and swallowed it! There were a few comments made by the author that just ABSOLUTELY took me back! The first thing he said was that "we have to learn to live with these beautiful creatures and not eradicate them". Beautiful creatures? They don't have the same effect on me as a furry seal pup (which by the way it would eat given the opportunity!) He goes on to say, that the dog getting eaten by a python, out here in the suburbs, is "just part of the suburban ecology". What!? What do you possibly say to that. He further goes on to say that "we are all part of the food chain, including humans as part of this suburban ecology" What!!!? This will only be a temporary post as I will go back and get the quotes exactly as the author reported them.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Eeewwww! Not sure how to handle it if the dog got eaten by a snake. I guess I would view the snake as a Australian version of a coyote. I think I'll take the coyote.

11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, how wonderful. Are we still going to camp while we are there? Love, Karen

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home