The Roths Down Under

A collection of daily events, activities, thoughts and reflections. Check back often as we will update our log every day or so. Don't forget to stay in touch by clicking on the comment link below each daily entry!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States

A young family having many "adventures of a lifetime!" Ed, Karen, Eddie & Heather

online

Monday, April 18, 2005

Mt. Coot-tha

I took a really nice hike this weekend from Karyn's parents' house up to Mt. Coot-tha. They live right across the street from the trailhead - with the two boys in tow, I'm guestimating, but I guess it took us about 45 mins. or so to get to the top. At the top, there was a beautiful "look out" over the whole city, metropolitan area, and surrounding mountains and ocean - gorgeous!

On the way up I was chatting with Karyn's dad quite a bit - about when they lived in Papua New Guinea (PNG - remember, EVERYTHING is shortened here!), when they lived in Northern Queensland etc. and I looked over, and there was a fairly large spider on his neck. I told him there was a spider on his neck and David came over and knocked it off. Later, when I told Karyn that although we did not see any snakes, there was a spider that was going for her dad's jugular! Maybe a slight exaggeration, but I have yet to be able to interpret the unspoken intentions of Australia's arachnids - so "going for his jugular" is as logical an explanation as any other to me!

3 Comments:

Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

See, I could never live in a place where there are that many deadly things. I think wallabies are poisonous too.

1:05 AM  
Blogger kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping said...

Picturing you as you are in your posts about the animals and assorted wildlife is PRICELESS! Better than a commercial! :)

11:23 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

I'm telling you - if you saw the SIZE of these things... spiders, bats, sharks, snakes - they are all friggin' huge!

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home