The Roths Down Under

A collection of daily events, activities, thoughts and reflections. Check back often as we will update our log every day or so. Don't forget to stay in touch by clicking on the comment link below each daily entry!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States

A young family having many "adventures of a lifetime!" Ed, Karen, Eddie & Heather

online

Sunday, April 10, 2005

Settling In

Well, I've been at David and Karyn's now since Wednesday evening and am starting to settle in a bit. I took the bus from their house down to the Indooroopilly (pronounced Indra-pilly) mall, picked up a few things from Target and K-Mart (American corporations everywhere!) and grabbed a bite to eat before heading back. Now that I have a bit of an idea how the bus system works here, there's a bit more of a sense of independence - I don't have to rely on people to ship me around everywhere I want to go. Which, by the way, is not cheap - if you do the conversion from liters to gallons, gas (petrol) runs about $4.40/gallon!!! Can you believe that?!

I went to my first Australian rules football game on Saturday night - had a great time. The game in general, is relatively easy to understand although like any sport, there are nuances that I haven't quite picked up on yet. The one thing I was a bit surprised,no, really surprised about, was the Brisbane (home) team was winning by a relatively substantial amount with about 10 minutes left in the game, the Sydney team came back and with no time left on the clock, regulation time had run out, the Sydney team was given a free kick, which they made, for a walk-off game winning goal, and the crowd really didn't seem all that upset about it. How's that for a run-on sentence!

More later .....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home