The Roths Down Under

A collection of daily events, activities, thoughts and reflections. Check back often as we will update our log every day or so. Don't forget to stay in touch by clicking on the comment link below each daily entry!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States

A young family having many "adventures of a lifetime!" Ed, Karen, Eddie & Heather

online

Thursday, April 14, 2005

Kookaburras and Bats the Size of 747s

I bet growing up as a kid the U.S., you either: A. Had no idea what a kookaburra was, or B. Thought it was a cute little bird with a pretty song.

I hate them. They sit outside my window and have this REDICULOUSLY loud "laughing" sound and when more than one of them gets together ... forget about it man, these things are like having some nutcase outside the window laughing their heads off waiting for you to stick your head out the window!

O.K. Now get this. Last night I was leaving work at about 7p.m. Remember, Australia is in its Autumn season so it's completely dark by 7 o'clock. I'm walking to catch the bus and I see flash about 10 feet above and in front of me something that looks and sounds like a bat but is the size of a crow. And I hear more of that same sound up in the trees - I beat it - and a couple of people (Aussies I assume) just giggled a bit and kept walking. So I grab the bus, and switch at this place called Indooroopilly (Indra-pilly) there's a 20 minute wait for the next bus so I grab a beer, then catch the 7:33p.m. bus home. O.K. so now I get off the bus and start walking to David and Karyn's house (where I'm staying) and I couldn't help looking at the stars - huge sky - really spectacular. Well, while I'm looking up, I see the the leaves and branches toward the top of maybe a 20ft. high tree shaking and rustling and hear the same sounds I heard back on campus. Then this HUGE friggin' bat comes flying out of the tree and flashed in the street light so I caught a glimpse of him - clearly a bat - and clearly somewhat bigger than your standard crow. So, of course I said, out loud, holy shit, and quickened my pace. Then another, then another - there were three of things flying above the street to which I again shouted, out loud, holy shit! I bolted and sprinted the entire, maybe, 1/8 mile stretch home. I showed up to the house sweating and breathing heavy - they must think this American is out of his mind!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Eddie how are you? What is a Blogger or Blog? Hope you Birthday was good. Just was wondering if you received your gift and were you able to use it. Are you wearing a hat for those 747's?

2:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home